Questions about tree work

We hope that the following frequently asked questions will help you find out what you need to know about our company. We understand that employing a tree surgeon is an important decision. If you need any further information, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Please call for a chat 01732 446420

Top questions to think about when hiring a tree surgeon

Please call for a chat 01732 446420

On occasion trees can be protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or are located within a Conservation area. We are happy to check if there are any restrictions on your trees with the Local Planning Authority (LPA), and make any applications on your behalf, if required.

TPOs - It takes 8 weeks for a Local Planning Authority (LPA) to reach a decision on work on a tree with a TPO. The LPA will allow works to go ahead on protected trees in certain circumstances, such as unstable or dangerous trees, without a full application process.

Conservation Areas – You must give the LPA notification of any work you intend to have carried out on trees in a conservation area. Once the notice has been received there is a statutory 6 week waiting period before consent is given to carry out the works. This only applies to stems over 750mm in diameter.

Due to the nature of our work machinery noise is unavoidable but will be kept to a minimum where possible. We suggest it would courteous to inform your immediate neighbours of the date and nature of works. Where your trees overhang neighbouring properties access may be required for clearing up. In these cases written consent letter would be required from your neighbour giving us permission to access the area. This would be required prior to works commencing to avoid unnecessary delays on the day. We understand that occasionally relationships between neighbours can be awkward and we are happy to discuss and explain the works with them. However, we are unable to get involved with ongoing neighbourly disputes.

The majority our clients require all arisings (waste product) to be removed from site. However, woodchips can be used as mulch for your garden and are a cheap alternative to decorative bark. Timber can also be left for firewood either in lengths or processed by us into logs. We are happy to discuss these options and will specify your requirements in the quote.

We make every effort to carry out works with a controlled and organized approach, and we will move manageable garden furniture/ornaments to a safe place . In certain circumstances where access is limited we may need to clear arisings through your property. In this case we will supply additional protection (polythene sheeting etc) and ensure that arising are processed into small, manageable pieces to avoid any damage to your property.

In order to minimize any divots in your lawn, made by dropping timber, we will take measures such as lowering of timber or use of a crash mat.

It is possible to dig out small stumps, but larger stumps require access for our machinery. Our stump grinder will fit through a 760mm gateway or door, so can access most rear gardens. The grinder breaks the stump down into a mixture of wood fibres, soil and air, down to a depth of approx 300mm. The hole is then back filled with the grinding residue. On larger stumps this can leave a small mound which will decay and sink over time. Excess grindings can be removed to leave the area flat if required, this would be specified in the quote.

Legally you can cut any overhang back your boundary. However, the trees can still be covered by planning restrictions. Often these situations are not straight forward and we would recommend you discuss these works with your neighbour.

Yes we do but additional charges apply.

We provide all our clients with a written quotation outlining all costs involved in the work requested, including VAT. At the time of accepting the quotation you are agreeing to pay the full amount once you receive our invoice. Any questions regarding price and payment must be agreed with our office prior to work commencing. 

Our payment terms are 14 days from the date of completion. Payment can be made on the day by cheque or cash. Our bank details will be on the invoice we send for BACS payments.

We cover Sevenoaks, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, Maidstone, Dartford, Bromley, South East London and the surrounding areas. If you're not sure if you fall within our patch, then please don't hesitate to contact us as we may well be able to help you.

We always aim to leave our customers happy with all aspects of the service we provide. However should you experience any concerns please do get in contact with us immediately and we will try and resolve any complaints quickly and professionally. 

Where we cannot resolve any complaints using our own complaints procedure, as a Which? Trusted trader we use Ombudsman Services Ltd for dispute resolution. In the unlikely event of a complaint arising and you wish to refer the complaint to them please contact Which? Trusted traders in the first instance on 0117 981 2929.


Request free quote

Privacy Policy